The call for nominations for the 2024 Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize is open!
Know a young leader who has shown exceptional leadership in promoting or defending democracy? Nominate them for the second edition of the Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize.
Call for Nominations 2024
The Kofi Annan Foundation and the Democracy and Culture Foundation invite nominations for the second edition of the Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Award. Nominees must be aged between 18 and 30. The nomination period for the 2024 Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Award is from 15 January 2024 until 31 March 2024. Notification of the awardee will be made by July 2024.
How to Nominate a Young Leader for the 2024 Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize
Nominations must come from an organisation, and nominees must be aged between 18 and 30 at the time of nomination.
Organisation representatives: Please send your completed nomination to email@example.com by midnight CET, 31 March 2024
Nominations must include all of the following:
- Completed Submission Form
- A Cover Letter of support (max 500 words)
- Short video testimony from the nominee (2 minutes max, can be shot on a smartphone)
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the aim of the Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize?
The Kofi Annan NextGen Democracy Prize aims to:
- Recognise exceptional intellectual and/or “in action” leadership shown by a young activist in defending, promoting or renewing democracy;
- Provide the recipient of the prize with support, including through a one-year mentorship with a recognised democracy expert or senior leader;
- Inspire young people to commit to the advancement of democracy.
Can I nominate myself?
Nominations must come from an organisation. Nominees must be aged between 18 and 30 at the time of nomination. There are no restrictions in terms of nationality, gender, or occupation.
What is the prize?
The Prize includes a monetary prize of USD 10,000. The award will be presented at the Athens Democracy Forum, and all travel and accommodation expenses linked to the Awardee’s participation in the Forum will be covered by the organizers. Awardees will be invited to take a leading role in organising a panel session on youth and democracy at the following year’s Forum.
What are the criteria for nominating someone?
Nominees must be aged between 18 and 30 at the time of nomination. There are no restrictions in terms of nationality, gender, or occupation. The Selection Committee will consider the following when deciding the winner:
- Impact: The nominee’s actions had a demonstrated outcome, for instance, a change in policy in a given country, the rate of participation in elections, the number of people reached through a specific campaign, the number of users of a specific application, the number of students gaining a wider understanding of the importance of the democratic process, the number of community associations engaged in an educational campaign etc.
- Innovation: The innovative character of these actions.
- Sustainability: Whether the nominee has advanced the cause of democracy and human rights for a sustained period of one-year minimum, and whether her/his actions are sustainable over time and replicable in other contexts;
- Values: The values displayed by the Nominee through her/his actions.
- Benefit: The added value the Award could bring to the nominee in terms of international notoriety and support.