The Elections and Democracy Programme (EDP) of the Foundation is looking for an intern to perform a wide range of functions and responsibilities.
The Kofi Annan Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation, legally incorporated in Switzerland to apply the Founder’s unique international experience to address global challenges.
The Foundation’s mission is to promote better global governance and strengthen the capacities of people and countries to achieve a fairer, more secure world. The Foundation works to address the emerging challenges and policy gaps that pose a threat to peace and security and to provide political and strategic advice to leaders (both public and private) aimed at preventing or resolving conflict.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and writing:
- Collate news and opinion articles from media outlets and news services on countries we are currently monitoring (Daily Digest);
- Contribute to the review of events, analysis and outlook of possible future developments on countries with an actual or potential crisis in support of the Foundation’s work programmes;
- Undertake specific research into programme area for Heads of EDP.
- Support the Foundation in the organisation and follow-through of events;
- Support internal and external communications activities around the same events;
- Prepare background materials for meetings and trips that the President and Head of EDP may undertake.
- Work with communications teams to produce communications content / material;
- Take meeting and call notes and share the follow-up items with relevant staff members as instructed;
- Perform other tasks as required by the President and Head of EDP.
Skills and competencies required
- Excellent written and spoken English. Fluency in French is a significant advantage;
- A first degree in international relations, international law, politics, economics or a related field. Interests in Africa, Latin America or Southeast Asia and election processes would be an asset;
- Excellent research and organisational skills;
- Keen interest in and knowledge of international politics, socio-economic development and the rule of law and human rights; sound judgment, discretion, resourcefulness and excellent interpersonal skills are prized attributes;
- Ability to synthesise complex global issues into effective statements and written products;
- Ability to take initiative and work to deadlines.
- Answerable overall to the Head of Elections & Democracy Programme (EDP)
- Can be delegated work by the EDP Programme Coordinators.
- Should be ready to help other colleagues, if need be, depending on needs and availability.
- Full-time position for six months based in Geneva, with the possibility of renewal for a further six months;
- You hold a valid work permit for Switzerland (or be an EU citizen);
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
- Internships at the Foundation are non-paid but a stipend of up to 2’500 Swiss Francs per month for full-time work will be offered to assist with living expenses. The stipend is subject to Swiss/Geneva law on social charges and taxation.
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a letter of motivation in English to HR@kofiannanfoundation.org by 9.00 am CET Monday, 2 December 2019. A written test will be part of the recruitment process.
Only applications received by the closing date will be considered. Please be advised that only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.