Vacancy Announcement: Associate Programme Officer
The Kofi Annan Foundation is an independent non-profit organisation, legally incorporated in Switzerland in 2007.
The objectives of the Foundation are to mobilise political will to overcome threats to peace, development and human rights. In most cases the expertise and evidence needed to solve pressing problems such as poverty, armed conflict and poor governance already exist. What holds us back is lack of leadership or political will to identify and deliver solutions. The Foundation mobilises those who are in a position to influence and bring leadership to the world’s most pressing problems.
This position is located in the Foundation’s office in Geneva and will be under the direct supervision of the Head of Programmes, Transitions to Peace and Promoting Youth Leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with the development and delivery of the activities of the two programmes mentioned above to ensure progress is being made in line with programme design and expectations:
- Assists with the management of the day-to-day operations,
- Assists in content development, including participation in the review process of papers and reports; oversees production processes, including copy editing, translations, layout and printing of background papers and final reports,
- Assists in the organization (content and logistics) of meetings and events related to the programmes;
- Undertakes background research and drafting of papers, speeches and op-eds in the Foundation’s areas of focus mentioned above;
- Assists in the support of fundraising activities, contributes to the design and development of funding proposals, engages and liaises with donors, assists with the preparation of donor reports;
- Supports the communication efforts aimed at making the programmes’ achievements and activities visible;
- Assist in the identification of speaking and advocacy opportunities for the two programmes at the international, regional and national levels;
- Undertakes official mission travel as may be required;
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Programmes, Transitions to Peace and Promoting Youth Leadership.
Skills and competencies required
- Post-graduate university degree in international relations, peace studies, international law, political science or a related field.
- 3 to 4 years of relevant experience in peacebuilding, political or developmental work. Field experience is a major advantage;
- Excellent written and spoken English. Fluency in French, Spanish or Arabic is a major advantage;
- Good research and organizational skills;
- Strong interest in and knowledge of peacebuilding, transitional justice and/or preventing violent extremism;
- Sound judgment, discretion, resourcefulness and good interpersonal skills are prized attributes;
- Strong writing experience and analytical skills, and the ability to synthesize complex global issues into effective statements and written products;
- Ability to take initiative and work to deadlines.
- An indefinite term contract (renewable) with a three months trial period;
- You hold a valid work permit for Switzerland (or be an EU citizen);
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Remuneration is subject to Swiss social charges and taxable under Swiss/Geneva law.
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a letter of motivation in English to HR@kofiannanfoundation.org by 09h00 CET Monday, 25 March 2019. A written test may be part of the recruitment process. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.