Geneva – At the request of State Counsellor Daw Aung San Su Kyi, Kofi Annan will chair an advisory commission on Rakhine State. The overall objective of the Commission, which will be assisted by the Kofi Annan Foundation, is to provide recommendations on the complex challenges facing Rakhine.
The Commission will initiate a dialogue with political and community leaders in Rakhine with the aim of proposing measures to improve the well-being of all the people of the State.
In its work, the Commission will consider humanitarian and developmental issues, access to basic services, the assurance of basic rights, and the security of the people of Rakhine. .
It will submit its final report and recommendations to the Myanmar government in the second half of 2017.
“I am pleased to support the national efforts to promote peace, reconciliation and development in Rakhine”, Mr Annan said. “I look forward to listening to the leaders and people of Rakhine and to working with the State and central authorities to ensure a more secure and prosperous future for all.”
The Commission will convene for the first time on Monday, 5 September 2016 in Yangon, Myanmar.
The commissioners are:
- Kofi Annan (Chair), Chair of the Kofi Annan Foundation, Secretary General of the United Nations (1997 – 2006), Nobel Peace Laureate (2001)
- Mr U Win Mra, Chair of the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission,
- Dr Thar Hla Shwe, President of the Myanmar Red Cross Society
- Mr Ghassan Salamé, Lebanese Minister of Culture (2000-2003), UN Special Advisor to Secretary General (2003-2006)
- Ms Laetitia van den Assum, Special Advisor to the UNAIDS (2005-2006), the Netherlands’ Ambassador to the United Kingdom (2012-2015)
- Mr U Aye Lwin, Core Member and Founder of Religions for Peace, Myanmar
- Dr Mya Thida, President of Obstetrical and Gynecological Society of Myanmar Medical Association, Member of the Myanmar Academy of Medical Science
- Mr U Khin Maung Lay, Member of the Myanmar National Human Rights Commission
- Ms Daw Saw Khin Tint, Chairperson (Rakhine Literature and Culture Association, Yangon) and Vice-Chairperson (Rakhine Women Association)
Please note that Kofi Annan will not be immediately available for interviews on the Commission, but will address the media during a press conference in Yangon in the second week of September 2016. For more information, contact Bijan Farnoudi at Farnoudi@kofiannanfoundation.org